Tummy tuck , which known as abdominoplasty too, is a popular cosmetic surgery that help to improve the shape and appearance of the abdomen or tummy area. you can get more info and intro in wikipedia compeletly.
What is a Tummy Tuck (abdominoplasty) ?
Abdominoplasty is a cosmetic surgery and procedure performed to remove the sagging excess skin and fat tissue immediately over the umbilical region of anterior abdominal wall and tummy area, which can’t be removed through the exercise (excess skin caused by pregnancy or losing a lot of weight for example), and tightening muscles in the abdominal wall.
Although abdominoplasty helps to improve the shape and appearance of the abdomen, but it isn’t a an alternative way for loosing weights and it is recommended to perform for people with normal BMI (body mass index).
Who are the best candidates for an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck)?
Both men and women can perform abdominoplasty if they are in good general health and they have normal body mass index or BMI and it is better if they aren’t smoker.
The best candidate are women who have muscles and skin stretched after several pregnancies and men or women with history of obesity and losing significant weights as it helps to tighten those muscles and reduce that skin, therefore abdominoplasty is a good treatment for sagging skin in the abdomen area.
Who Should Not Consider a Tummy Tuck?
Your plastic surgeon is your best guide and you’d better consult with a plastic surgeon before deciding to perform abdominoplasty as it can’t perform in all the patient.
You mayn’t be a good candidate if:
- You have plan for pregnancy in the future
- You need to lose a significant amount of weight and your BMI is more than 30
- you have severe chronic disease as heart disease or diabetes
- heavy smoker
- You have a previous abdominal surgery that caused significant scar tissue
What causes abdomen skin to look saggy?
Saggy skin in the abdomen area is a major problem specially when the age is going up and the reduction of collagen and elastin in the dermis with association with fat loss cause saggy skin.
Some causes are:
- Weight gain or Extreme weight loss (Fluctuations in weight)
- Abdominal surgery, such as a C-section
- Unhealthy lifestyle
- Alcohol consumption
Certain medical conditions like Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS)
How is an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) done?
Abdominoplasty surgery is generally considered as an outpatient procedure so you may not need to stay in hospital after it, but as the procedure is done with general anesthesia, you’d better have a friend or family member to stay with you at least the first night after the surgery and give you a drive to your home or tour hotel.
There are 3 types of abdominoplasty:
- Complete abdominoplasty
- Partial or mini-abdominoplasty
- Circumferential abdominoplasty
In the full abdominoplasty, a horizontal, curved incision is made near the pubic hairline, excess skin and fat is removed across the whole abdominal area, underlying muscles are tightened and the navel is repositioned.
In the partial abdominoplasty excess skin below the navel is removed and the lower abdominal muscles are tightened.
In the circumferential abdominoplasty excess fat in the back as well as the abdomen is removed, so the shape of your body from all sides is improved.
At the end of any of above procedure the wounds are closed with stitches, tape or clips. Your surgeon may have you wear an elastic bandage or compression garment after surgery.
The length of the operation, depending on the results you want and the types of abdominoplasty could takes up from one to five hours.
How to Prepare for Tummy Tuck Surgery?
Before an abdominoplasty you might need to:
- Stop smoking: it’s better to quit smoking and using all forms of nicotine at least one month before surgery and for two weeks after as nicotine can slow the healing process and increases the risk of tissue damage.
- Stop using certain medications and drugs, which can increase bleeding (aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs and herbal supplements)
- Have normal, healthy, well balanced diet and avoid diet excessively before the surgery. And you need to have stable weight for at least one year before the surgery.
- Prepare the supply you need in the recovery period like ice packs, loose and comfortable clothing, petroleum jelly, hand-held shower head and bathroom chair.
What are the complications and side effects of an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck)?
As any surgery, there are risks and complications and as a cosmetic surgery can sometimes go wrong and the results may not be what you expected.
Some risks and complications are:
- excessive bleeding and a collection of blood underneath the skin (hematoma)
- developing a blood clot in a vein
- an allergic reaction to the anesthetic (very rare)
- accumulation of fluid collection of fluid in the area (seroma)
- Poor wound healing
- Wound separation
- Red, raised scars or thick, obvious scars developing
- pain and find it difficult to stand up straight and feel like your tummy is being pulled
- tummy cramps or pain
- Fat necrosis
- bulges under the skin or at the edges of the scar “dog ears”
- numbness or other changes in sensation in the tummy or down the leg
What is the outlook for someone who has had an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck)?
It is important to be aware that abdominoplasty will not stop you gaining weight in the future, so you should continue your healthy diet and regular exercises to maintain your new look.
Scar is permeant but in time will fade around one year or so after the surgery.
Most people are pleased with the result although it takes several months after the surgery to feel like normal.
How Much Does Tummy Tuck Cost?
In comparison to other countries, Turkey is a reasonably affordable country. The cost can vary according on the clinic’s location, the surgeon’s level of experience, and the procedure used. The cost of a tummy tuck Turkey is less expensive in Turkey due to cheaper prices for the operating room, medical supplies, and the surgeon’s fee. Also, due to the currency rate, medical tourists can now afford this surgery much more easily.
|Country||Estimated tummy tuck or abdominoplasty|
|Turkey||$2000 – $4500|
|Thailand||$8550 – $9350|
|india||$2500 – $5500|
|Canada||$5500 – $7000|
|UAE||$5500 – $7000|
|United kingdom||$8000 – $9000|
Can abdominoplasty get rid of stretch marks?
Not all of the stretch marks, only those which are located below the belly button when the extra skin is removed.
Can diet and exercise get rid of saggy skin?
Weight training exercises can help decrease and help get rid of saggy skin partially but not all.
I want to get pregnant in future, may I have abdominoplasty??
If you plan to get pregnant, you may better to postpone a tummy tuck until you’re done having children.
Is the scar permanent??
Yes. But it is in the site of the Caesarean section scar which can be hidden by underwear or swimsuit and in time will fade around one year or so after the surgery.
how long does it take for me to return to daily life?
Generally, one week off work after the surgery is enough and you can go back to your normal life after 4-6 weeks.